Homeless and at-risk children kindergarten through eighth grade who reside in St. Louis Park, both at our housing campus and within the larger community.
Perspectives Kids Cafe, is a licensed commercial kitchen/dining classroom, provides integrated services to homeless and low-income families and children for the purpose of improving access to nutritious food. Our program is designed to increase healthy food consumption for children while providing hands-on nutrition curriculum that addresses healthy food choices. In addition, we provide parent engagement, access to low-cost nutritious foods, and we continue each year to expand services and reach more families.
2018 Program Objectives
- 6,400 USDA-approved, healthy dinners will be served after school.
- 8,000 healthy snacks will be provided
- 1,100 healthy summer breakfasts will be served
- 1,600 healthy summer lunches will be served.
2017 Program Statistics
Total number of USDA-approved meals served: 8,722
Total number of USDA-approved snacks: 7,636
Dinner: 5,957 (students), 350 (parents)
- Chef/Teacher: Perspectives employs a full-time chef who is also a licensed teacher to work with students each evening to prepare meals, teach nutrition, and enjoy a family-style dinner together.
- Providing Healthy Meals and Nutrition: Daily nutritious (USDA-approved) meals and snacks are provided five days a week under the review of a registered dietitian.
- Learn Healthy Cooking: Professional chefs from around the Twin Cities volunteer to teach culinary skills to students on a weekly basis.
- Nutrition Education: Kids Cafe’s Chef and our registered dietitian educate students on making healthy food choices.
- Ongoing positive adult mentoring by community volunteers: Community volunteers serve as tutors, mentors, kitchen helpers, chefs, recreation coaches, and table companions.
- Social Skills: Students learn how to set tables, clean up, and use proper etiquette when sharing a meal.